Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Prop Doc


After a morning of “boat school”, in which Brady complained incessantly about having to learn some geometry,  (Q: Do I really have to learn geometry?  I’ll never use this in real life!  A: Yes you do, and Yes, you will.),  we headed off to “The Prop Doc” to pick up our propellor.
Props at the Prop Doc.
The previous week we had dropped off our three bladed wonder to have it adjusted and cleaned/polished.

Jamie checking out the equipment.


While there I asked the genial “Dr.” if he would be willing to show the boys the machines he uses in his work.  He happily pointed out several different machines, how they work and what his job entails.

"So this thingy does this..." **
"...and this thingy does that."**
 (** maybe not a direct quote)

He showed us the special molds that he uses to make sure the prop blades have the proper shape and angles, at which point I practically shout, “Hey wait!  Did you just say ANGLES???  As in GEOMETRY???!!”,  as I give Brady one those raised-eyebrow-what-did-I-tell-you looks.


Props, Doc!

Brady with the prop, and the Doc.

 “Oh yes”, says the good Dr., “I use A TON of math, and lots of geometry, all day long!”   Yes! Thank you!  Schooled by the Prop Doc.
Showing Jamie the, uh, prop-er way to carry a prop. 



Next stop: The Ice Cream shop.  For a nutrition lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment